Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wondrous Works

I was thinking this morning about the first time I knew the Lord answered my prayer. I was in 6th grade. I was a new Christian but, I had a strong belief in prayer. There was a red headed girl in my class. She looked like such fun. I just knew she would be a great friend. I asked the Lord for her friendship. I don't know how long it was, but that same year she and I became close friends. Courtney was my first answered prayer. We are still friends to this day. The answered prayer does not end there. It is a picture of the Lord's faithfulness only He can paint. Around that same year we had a speaker in our weekly chapel at my Christian school. She spoke on the importance of praying Gods word. She said she had prayed Ps 1:1-3 for her husband. She said she had prayed for a Christian husband for years. She said the Lord answered her prayers. That was all she had to tell me. I wanted one of those Christian husbands she talked about. I started to pray Ps 1:1-3. I prayed for that Christian husband over the next 12 years.   Courtney was the reason I met my husband Brian. So, when I think of answered prayer I can't help but, think back to my 6th grade prayer being answered. What would it be like if I had not asked the Lord for what my heart desired? I will never know. I do know the power of praying scripture is strong. When I read PS 1:1-3 I know that Brian is every word of those 3 verses. I now pray that same scripture for my 2 boys and soon to be 3 boys. This past week Will my oldest son came home with his scripture memory verse for school. I got an email from his teacher saying he would really need to work on this because this is there big verse for the year. Do you know what verse it was? 1 Blessed is the man 
   who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly, 
or stand in the path of sinners  
   or sit in the seat of scornful; 
2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, 
   and in His law he meditates day and night. 
3 He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, 
   That bring forth it's fruit in season 
and whose leaf does not wither— 
   whatever he does he shall prospers. Psalms 1:1-3


      When I looked at his homework study sheet I was so excited. The scripture I had prayed for his daddy he would now learn. I grabbed Will up. I said "Will, I have to tell you these are the verses I have prayed for your dad. Even before we met each other. Every word in these 3 verses are who your dad is." He just laughed. I turned around to see what he was looking at. His daddy was smiling and pointing to himself behind me in the kitchen!  Brian knows the power from praying scripture. Those 6th grade prayers are still bearing fruit to this day. I have had so much comfort in my bible over these past weeks. I have sticky tabs in my bible. Any verse I pray for what we are going through and for Ward I mark it with a blue sticky tab. If you open my bible you will see it is covered with blue tabs. I still believe in praying scripture and I know He hears.

O God, You have taught me from my youth; And to this day I declare Your wondrous works. Psalm 71:17


No comments:

Post a Comment